Terms & Conditions
1. ELIGIBILITY: This competition is open to any person who is 18 years of age or older at the time of entry and is a full-time student of a high school or a PhD student. Employees of Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotion agencies are not eligible, nor are family members of these employees (defined as parents, children, siblings, spouses and life partners).
2. ENTRY: Only one entry per person will be accepted. Incomplete, damaged, defaced or illegible entries may be deemed invalid at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Entry constitutes full and unconditional acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Microsoft reserve the right to disqualify anyone in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
3. TIMING: This competition starts on December 15, 2011. The closing date of this competition isFebruary 28, 2012. Completed entries must reach Microsoft no later than the closing date, February 28, 2012 at midnight (MSD - Moscow Daylight Time).
5. USE OF THIRD PARTY MATERIALS: Participants must submit their original work, materials and ideas. Participants shall make reasonable efforts to ensure that submitted materials do not infringe the intellectual property any third party. Participants must comply with all license agreements for software and hardware used in their entries.
6. USE OF MATERIALS: The materials submitted by students will be used primarily for evaluation purposes and for selecting the contest winners. Microsoft may publish materials of the winners of the contest. By accepting these Terms & Conditions each participant gives permission to the contest organizers and to Microsoft to publish the materials if such participant is one of the winners of the contest.
7. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: All intellectual property produced by the participants of the contest belongs solely to them. By accepting these Terms & Conditions each participant grants the contest organizers limited non-exclusive rights to use materials submitted by the participant and other relevant materials for the purposes defined in the Terms & Conditions.
8. USE OF DATA: The personal e-mail address which you provided when entering this competition may be used by Microsoft to send you Microsoft Research newsletters or announcements for one (1) year after the allocation of the prize.
9. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Five (5) winners will be selected by a panel of judgeson March 30, 2012. The panel of judges will include at least one independent member that is not affiliated with Microsoft. The winners will be notified by e-mail by April 1, 2012. The winners may be required to become involved in further publicity or advertising.
10. PRIZE: The prize is a participation in Microsoft PhD Summer School 2012 that will take place in Cambridge, UK. The winners of the contest will also receive reimbursement for travel costs for the trip from Moscow, Russia to Cambridge, UK and accommodation cost in Cambridge, UK during the term of the summer school 2012. Prize is as stated and non-transferable and non-negotiable. No cash or other alternatives available. Microsoft reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Prizes may be considered a taxable benefit and winners will be directly responsible for accounting for any tax liability arising on their prize.
11. WINNERS LIST: The winner consents to their surname being made publicly available. The winners surname will be available for a period of five (5) years after the closing date.
12. OTHER: No correspondence will be entered into regarding either this competition or these Terms and Conditions. In the unlikely event of a dispute, Microsoft’s decision shall be final. Microsoft reserves the right to amend, modify, cancel or withdraw this competition at any time without notice.
13. Microsoft cannot guarantee the performance of any third party and shall not be liable for any act or default by a third party. Participants in this promotion agree that Microsoft will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, costs, damage or disappointment of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly from acceptance, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in this promotion. Nothing in this clause shall limit Microsoft’s liability in respect of death or personal injury arising out of its own negligence or arising out of fraud.
Promoter: Microsoft Research Limited